Shooting incidents in LA County: A review of gun violence reports

Unfortunately, shootings resulting in deaths and injuries are a common occurrence in the Los Angeles area, and the past week was no different.

Bellflower resident fatally shot

On Saturday, a man was fatally shot in Bellflower, and the perpetrator is yet to be apprehended.

At around 1:22 a.m., the victim was discovered by deputies at the 9000 block of Artesia Boulevard, located east of Lakewood Boulevard and south of the Artesia (91) Freeway. The victim had sustained a gunshot wound to the upper body, as shared by homicide Lt. Michael Gomez from the Los Angeles County Sheriffs’ Department.

A man who was estimated to be between 40 to 50 years old has been reported as the victim and was declared dead at the scene.

There is currently no available information regarding any suspects or motives.

If you have any information regarding the shooting incident, please contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Crime Stoppers can also be reached at 800-222-8477 for anonymous calls, or you can send tips to

Unincorporated LA County: Man Fatally Shot in Florence Community

Authorities reported that a shooting incident resulted in the death of a man on Saturday in the Florence community of unincorporated Los Angeles County. According to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the tragic incident took place at around 4:15 a.m. on East 62nd Street. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting, which occurred in the 1600 block.

Man Arrested for Murders of Father and Toddler Daughter in Compton 20 Years Ago

On Friday, authorities arrested a suspect believed to be responsible for the 2001 drive-by shootings in Compton that resulted in the deaths of a 24-year-old man and his 2-year-old daughter. According to investigators, the victims were caught in the crossfire of a gang war and were innocent bystanders. The suspect is now in custody.

On Monday, authorities arrested Jahon Smith, aged 47, in relation to the murder of Stephen Murphy and his daughter Kali. The father and daughter were shot on August 8, 2001, in the 13100 block of Willowbrook Avenue. Stephen was tragically killed on his grandmother’s front porch while attempting to protect and carry his daughter to safety after hearing gunshots.

District Attorney George Gascón announced on Wednesday that Smith is now facing charges of two counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder. The charges also include a special circumstance allegation of multiple murders and an allegation of personal use of a handgun.

Court records show that the arraignment scheduled at the Compton courthouse has been delayed until November 29. According to Gascón’s statement, Smith could be sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

The authorities have chosen not to disclose the full particulars regarding the evidence that resulted in Smith’s detainment. According to Lt. Hugo Reynaga of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau, advanced DNA testing was carried out on evidence that was gathered 22 years ago, which they believed would give investigators the lead they needed to identify a suspect in the Murphys’ murders.

In September, during a news conference aimed at renewing public interest in the case, Reynaga stated that Murphy and his daughter were unfortunate victims who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. According to him, the killers were out to commit murder and the father and daughter were an accidental target.

On Friday, Reynaga reinforced that the shooting was just one of several that took place over two nights, as a result of what seemed to be a continuous gang war at the time. It is important to note that there are still other suspects being sought in connection with these incidents.

According to Reynaga, the case involving the tragic murder of 2-year-old Kali and her father Stephen is far from over. The investigation remains ongoing until all suspects are held accountable for their actions. Reynaga further stated that investigators are aware of the involvement of multiple suspects. Despite the arrest of Jahon Smith, investigators are still analyzing additional DNA evidence in the case and are eagerly awaiting the results. It is clear that this case is being handled with the utmost diligence and care, as justice must be served for the innocent victims.

According to witnesses, two males were involved in the crime. To aid in the investigation, the sheriff’s officials released artist renderings of the suspects, hoping that the public can provide tips. Reynaga mentioned that the suspects were driving a gray Chevrolet Caprice during the shooting.

According to Reynaga, five distinct drive-by shootings took place the following night within a span of five minutes. It is believed that these shootings were carried out in retaliation for Lawrence’s murder.

According to Reynaga, the first round of shootings took place in the 13300 block of Largo Avenue, resulting in a victim sustaining gunshot wounds to the head and shoulder. Fortunately, the wounds were not life-threatening. Shortly after that, in the 2300 block of Lucien Street, another shooting occurred, but luckily, no one was injured.

In the 2000 block of West 131st Street, a 15-year-old boy sustained a graze wound to the head due to another shooting that took place shortly after, as per Reynaga’s statement. Furthermore, in the 1900 block of North Anzac Avenue, a sheriff’s deputy was targeted with gunfire but fortunately remained unharmed.

According to Reynaga, deputies seized the gold Oldsmobile Cutlass driven by the suspects, and evidence collected from the vehicle is currently undergoing DNA testing.

If you have any information, please get in touch with the sheriff’s department, he emphasized.

During the news conference held on Friday, Phyllis, the mother of Stephen Murphy, expressed her gratitude to the investigators for not abandoning the case. She referred to her son and granddaughter as “two innocent victims who were tragically gunned down and taken away from us.”

“He may not have received swift justice, but the accountability of the responsible party brings a sense of sweet relief,” expressed the grieving individual. She continued, “Stephen was a dedicated young man who showed immense love and kindness towards his family. He was a loving father who always saw the good in people. As far as I know, he never caused harm to anyone in his entire life. I can attest to the fact that he never spoke an unkind word to me. Stephen was a loving and kind son, and above all, a loving person.”

Also Read:

Avatar photo
MBS Staff
Articles: 7047

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *