Closure of I-55 bridge for 2 weeks as interchange project progresses to next stage

The I-55 Memphis-Arkansas bridge is set to close to traffic in June as crews enter the next phase of the I-55 and E.H. Crump Boulevard interchange project in Downtown Memphis, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT).

The construction work on the I-55 bridge will involve hydro-demolition and deck repair.

The closure will commence on Sunday, June 9 at 8 p.m. and will continue until Sunday, June 23 at 8 p.m. Motorists can expect detours, which will be clearly posted.

TDOT states that the I-55 interchange at E.H. Crump Boulevard and South Riverside Drive is heavily congested due to a mix of local commuter and through traffic, including a significant amount of commercial truck traffic.

According to officials, the current interchange is inadequate to accommodate the current and projected traffic volumes in the area.

In April 2022, the initiative to enhance the interchange was launched. The objective is to replace the current cloverleaf design with a new configuration that not only minimizes accidents but also eases traffic congestion and ensures a smooth flow for I-55.

The project, which is projected to be finished by early 2025, is being funded primarily by federal dollars, accounting for 90% of the total budget, with the remaining 10% contributed by the state.

Reference Article

Avatar photo
MBS Staff
Articles: 7052

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *