Biden and Trump tied in Michigan poll results

According to a recent poll conducted by Emerson College on behalf of The Hill, President Joe Biden and former president Donald Trump are locked in a close race for Michigan’s electoral votes in the upcoming 2024 presidential election. The results indicate that both candidates have an equal chance of securing the state’s crucial electoral votes.

According to the poll, Trump currently holds a narrow lead of 45% to Biden’s 44%, with 11% of voters still undecided. However, when the undecided voters were asked to indicate their leanings, Trump’s support increased to 50.3%, while Biden’s stood at 49.7%.

The survey, conducted between March 14 and 18th, gathered responses from 1,000 registered voters. It is important to note that the data carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3%. The participants were fairly evenly split among the different political parties, with 376 Democrats, 370 Republicans, and the remaining individuals identifying as independents.

According to the survey, the majority of respondents (26.9%) indicated that their decision to support a particular candidate was primarily driven by their dislike for the other candidate. Similarly, a significant portion (26.2%) stated that they made their choice based on their genuine liking for their preferred candidate. Approximately one-fourth of the voters (24.2%) revealed that their vote was influenced by specific issues. Additionally, 12% of participants mentioned that they selected their candidate based on political party affiliation.

Michigan’s 15 electoral votes hold significant importance in determining the outcome of the presidential election. In 2016, Donald Trump emerged victorious in the state, defeating Hillary Clinton. However, in 2020, Joe Biden managed to secure a win in Michigan, surpassing Trump’s efforts.

Biden still faces challenges with his job approval rating, as indicated by a majority of those surveyed (52%) expressing their disapproval of his performance. On the other hand, nearly four in ten (39%) respondents stated their approval of his work.

According to recent polls, Governor Whitmer is enjoying a strong job rating, with a 49% approval, 42% disapproval, and 10% neutral rating. Interestingly, if she were to run for president, she would secure Michigan’s electoral votes as 50% of the population supports her, while only 45% support Trump. These statistics suggest that Whitmer’s popularity is on the rise and that she has a significant chance of winning the state’s support in a presidential race.

According to recent data, a majority of individuals in Michigan (51%) firmly believe that Donald Trump should not be given another opportunity to run for president due to the events that occurred on January 6, 2021, at the Capitol. Conversely, the remaining 49% hold the view that he should indeed be given another chance.

The numbers provided above offer insights into why a significant portion of individuals polled express dissatisfaction with the options of Biden and Trump and express a desire for a third-party candidate. When asked to choose among five presidential contenders – Biden, Trump, Robert Kennedy, Cornel West, and Jill Stein – Trump receives 43% support, slightly surpassing Biden’s 41%. Kennedy garners 5% of the support, while Stein and West receive 1% and just under 1%, respectively. Meanwhile, 10% remain undecided in their choice.

Nexstar, the owner of The Hill, also holds ownership of WLNS-TV, WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids, and WJMN-TV in Marquette.

Reference Article

Avatar photo
MBS Staff
Articles: 5382

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *