Police believe former police officer responsible for killings died from self-inflicted gunshot wound

A former police officer, who was suspected of killing his ex-wife and girlfriend, has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to officials. They also confirmed that the abducted child, who was at the center of the case, was found “uninjured” and has been taken into custody safely.

According to Oregon State Police Captain Kyle Kennedy, a suspect named Elias Huizar led Troopers on a chase following a failed traffic stop on the I-5 in Eugene at approximately 2:40 p.m. PT.

According to Kennedy, the suspect engaged in a gunfire exchange with the officers, but fortunately, no troopers were injured during the incident.

Authorities said Tuesday night that Huizar crashed into a commercial vehicle after continuing on and spinning into the median. It was during this time that the suspect shot himself.

According to the police, OSP troopers were able to safely and without any harm take custody of the abducted 1-year-old child, Roman Santos (formerly known as Roman Huizar).

The suspect is being sought by the police in connection with the shooting and killing of his ex-wife, Amber Rodriguez, outside Wiley Elementary School. He has been charged with first-degree premeditated murder.

Authorities discovered another homicide victim, later identified as “a known associate of the suspect,” during their search of Huizar’s residence hours after the initial incident. The amber alert issued for the missing child mentioned that Huizar was also a suspect in the murder of his girlfriend.

The authorities issued the Amber Alert on Monday in response to the reported abduction of the 1-year-old. However, they canceled it on late Tuesday afternoon.

According to police, Huizar was possibly spotted in Portland, Oregon, driving a black sedan overnight. A convenience store clerk called 911 around 1 a.m. to report that Huizar had stopped by to buy a drink and had a child in the backseat. Although officers responded to the call, they were unable to find Huizar, the child, or the vehicle until later in the afternoon.

According to an official confirmation, Huizar worked as a substitute teacher for Richland School District from November 2021 to June 2023.

Huizar worked as a police officer in Yakima, Washington, from June 2013 to February 2022, according to the department. He decided to resign “immediately following discipline,” as confirmed by a spokesperson for the department when approached by ABC News. The department has yet to provide details on the nature of the disciplinary action.

Yakima Police Chief Matt Murray expressed his heartfelt condolences for the tragic events unfolding in West Richland. He emphasized that words cannot adequately convey the sympathy felt for all those affected by these acts of violence. Chief Murray assured the community that the police force is prepared to offer any assistance within their capabilities.

Reference Article

Avatar photo
MBS Staff
Articles: 7044

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *