Texas is a vast and varied state that comprises many towns and cities. Safety levels in each of these places differ, based on crime data and reports. In this article, we will focus on the Texas city with the lowest crime rate and delve into the contributing factors that make it a secure and safe place to live.
What is the lowest crime rate city in Texas?
According to the National Council for Home Safety and Security’s 2023 findings, Fulshear, a small town near Houston, has earned the distinction of being the Texas city with the lowest crime rate. With a population of 13,790, Fulshear reported only 2 violent crimes and 61 property crimes in 2018. This equates to an impressively low crime rate of 4.57 incidents per 1,000 residents, which is significantly below the national average of 22.0 per 1,000.
Although Fulshear is considered a secure city in Texas, there are several other cities that offer a safe living environment and an excellent quality of life. These cities include Hutto, Trophy Club, Colleyville, Murphy, and Prosper, all having a crime rate of less than 0.5 per 1,000 for violent crimes and below 10 per 1,000 for property crimes.
What makes Fulshear and other safe cities in Texas so safe?
The safety of a city is influenced by various factors, such as its size, location, demographics, economy, education, culture, and law enforcement. In Texas, cities like Fulshear, which are considered safe, possess certain characteristics that contribute to their low crime rates.
- Size: Fulshear and most other safe cities in Texas maintain relatively small populations, ranging from 10,000 to 50,000 residents. Smaller cities often experience lower crime rates due to their close-knit communities, reduced anonymity, less congestion, and fewer social problems.
- Location: These cities are typically situated in suburban or rural areas, distanced from major urban centers like Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. Suburban and rural areas tend to exhibit less crime as they offer more space, natural resources, stability, and less poverty.
- Demographics: Fulshear and its safe counterparts usually have relatively homogenous populations, with a majority of white residents. Homogenous populations tend to experience lower crime rates due to shared values, higher trust levels, increased cooperation, and reduced conflict.
- Economy: These cities tend to possess robust economies with low unemployment rates, high median incomes, substantial home values, and strong growth rates. A strong economy often correlates with lower crime rates by providing more opportunities, resources, security, and satisfaction.
- Education: Fulshear and other safe cities in Texas frequently boast high levels of education, with a significant portion of residents holding at least a high school diploma or higher, and many having a bachelor’s degree or more. Higher education levels typically lead to reduced crime as they foster greater knowledge, enhanced skills, critical thinking, and increased civic engagement.
- Culture: These cities often embrace a culture that values family, community, religion, patriotism, and lawfulness. A culture emphasizing these values tends to have lower crime rates, as it promotes increased respect, responsibility, morality, and obedience.
In 2023, Fulshear, a small town near Houston, was named the city with the lowest crime rate in Texas. The town takes pride in its homogenous population, thriving economy, and high education standards. Besides, Fulshear’s culture values family, community, religion, patriotism, and lawfulness. These factors work together to maintain impressively low crime rates, a trend observed in other cities in Texas. It’s worth noting that crime is not inevitable, and every city can improve its safety by addressing the root causes of crime and implementing effective prevention strategies.